Cognos Controller 10.4.2
Microsoft Windows 2019 server
How upgrade Cognos Controller to 10.4.2 IF15?
https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/node/6528580 (new version 10.4.2 IF16)
Download the file up_cntrl_winx64h_10.4.2000.1098_ml.tar.gz
IBM Cognos Controller 10.4.2 Interim Fix 15, requires that IBM Cognos Controller 10.4.2 is installed.
If you not have 10.4.2, you need to install that first. https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/how-installupgrade-controller-serverclient
Follow IBM instructions https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/node/6526240 or
- Change to the directory where you have downloaded the interim fix.
- Decompress the .tar.gz file. If you are using WinZip®, select the option “use folder names”.
- Stop Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager (the Default Web Site).
- Shut down the IBM Cognos Controller Consolidation COM+ application through Component Services.
- Stop the following services through the Services Manager.
- Check that you have a back up of the cognos content store and controller database.
- If your IBM Cognos Controller environment is customized, back up the entire IBM Cognos Controller location.
- Go to the location where you downloaded and extracted the files.
- Go to the win64h directory and double-click the issetup.exe file.
- Open IBM Cognos Configuration, save the configuration, and then start the IBM Cognos service.
- Open Controller Configuration, and check that the values are there, special for Server Authentication and Client Distribution Server Configuration.
- If you have a distributed environment, repeat these steps for all remaining IBM Cognos Controller servers.
- Start the Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager (the Default Web Site).
- Reboot your windows server.
When you check in Cognos Controller client under help – system information – you see the version number there. Cognos Controller Version depend on the client you have installed.
In the transfer log you can find lines like this:
Condition “File “d:\Program Files\ibm\cognos\ccr_64\fcmweb\wlp\usr\servers\fcm.reports\apps\fcm.reports-rest.war\WEB-INF\lib\log4j-api-2.5.jar” exists” evaluated to true.
Successfully deleted file “d:\Program Files\ibm\cognos\ccr_64\fcmweb\wlp\usr\servers\fcm.reports\apps\fcm.reports-rest.war\WEB-INF\lib\log4j-api-2.5.jar”.
Condition “File “d:\Program Files\ibm\cognos\ccr_64\fcmweb\wlp\usr\servers\fcm.reports\apps\fcm.reports-rest.war\WEB-INF\lib\log4j-core-2.5.jar” exists” evaluated to true.
Successfully deleted file “d:\Program Files\ibm\cognos\ccr_64\fcmweb\wlp\usr\servers\fcm.reports\apps\fcm.reports-rest.war\WEB-INF\lib\log4j-core-2.5.jar”.
The update replace the jar file to later version.
If you upgrade from a version older than 10.4.2, you need to reinstall your cognos controller client to a new version on all users laptops.
This version also contain other corrections, here is Controller fix list;
If you have CA11 installed, that also need to be upgraded.
Workarounds and Mitigations
IBM is developing a “non-upgrade” option for “On Prem” Cognos Analytics customers that will patch the system and allow customers to remain on their current applicable version. Cognos Controller customer have to upgrade to latest version, or patch the faulty jar files themselves. But IBM is developing a “no-upgrade” option for “On Prem” customers that will patch the system and allow customers to remain on their current applicable version. Check IBM page https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/node/6528580