Product: Cognos TM1 9.x
1) Open a DOS box / command prompt: Start -> Run -> cmd
2) Navigate to the TM1 bin directory using the cd command. Go to the TM1 bin directory, the default installation path is “C:\Program Files\Cognos\TM1\bin”.
3) Type the following command:
tm1sd.exe -install -n”NameOfTM1Server” -z”PathtoTm1s.cfgFile”
Where the “NameOfTM1Server” (after the -n) is the name you want to give to this TM1 Server service. If the name you are going to use contains any spaces, this value must be specified in double quotes.
Where the “PathtoTm1s.cfgFile” (after the -z) is the path to the tm1s.cfg file for this the TM1 Server you are setting up.
tm1sd.exe -install -n”TM1 Production Server” -z”C:\Program Files\Cognos\TM1\Custom\TM1Data\PData”
If the command is successful, it will return the following message:
TM1 Server / tm1 production server installed.
4) You can then go into the services listing, and you will see the new TM1 Server service you setup. Following the above example, the service would be listed as:
TM1 Server / tm1 production server
You can then configure the service to run automatically, and to run under a specific domain user.
NOTE: If you are setting up a completely new TM1 Server for which you don’t already have a tm1s.cfg file, you can copy the tm1s.cfg from the Planning Sample TM1 Server and modify it accordingly. At a minimum, you will need to modify the ServerName, DataBaseDirectory, and PortNumber parameter values.
If the service does not start (error message stating the service cannot be started), starting the same TM1 Logical server as a desktop application will usually provide more detailed information on the error.
Removal of the TM1 service
To remove a TM1 Server service (again, following the example above), follow steps 1 and 2, then type the following command:
tm1sd.exe -remove -n”NameOfTM1Server”
Where the “NameOfTM1Server” (after the -n) is the name of the TM1 Server service you wish to remove.
tm1sd.exe -remove -n”TM1 Production Server”
Schedule a Planning job to run but it stays pending.
Schedule a Planning Job to run a macro. The job stays in pending status. The macro by itself can be set to run later. This occurs mostly in a multi server environment.
Monitor service is set to False
Change the monitor service to true on the Application server and Web Server, restart services.
Product: Cognos BI 10
Restrict access to Business Insight and Business Insight Advanced
Steps to deny users from using the Business Insight tool using capabilities:
1. Go the IBM Cognos Administration page and click on Security tab
2. Under the Capabilities link, click the ‘Set Properties’ on the Executive Dashboard capability. To deny access to a user, deny the execute and traverse rights.
Steps to deny users access to the Business Insight Advanced tool:
Note: Business Insight Advanced tools permissions are linked to Report Studio. So denying access to Business Insight Advanced also denies access to Report Studio
1. Go the IBM Cognos Administration page and click on Security tab
2. Under the Capabilities link, click the Set Properties on the Report Studio capability. To deny access to a user, deny the execute and traverse rights.
Product : Cognos Controller
The installed version of the Cognos Controller Link add-in doesn’t match the server file version and the add-in might not work as expected. Contact your system administrator for an upgrade of the add-in files.
The installed version of the IBM Cognos 8 Controller Link doesn’t match the server file version
User launches any functionality in Controller which uses the Excel link. User receives the error message.
There are several potential causes for this error message:
Invalid registry entry from third-party software
The Controller Excel-link is checking which version is installed by looking at the uninstall key (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall) in the registry. If a subkey name on the uninstall key contains a trailing space character, the check fails resulting in this error.
Controller registry key from older Controller client version was not successfully uninstalled before the new client version was installed
Locate the registry entry (under the uninstall key) which contains a trailing space. Then rename it so that the key name does not end with a space (‘ ‘) character.
Warning: Always backup registry before editing! Incorrect modifications can cause serious problems to your system.
For example, third party software ‘Altiris Carbon Copy Solution’ leaves an invalid registry key.
1. Launch REGEDIT
2. Navigate to the key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
3. Create export from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall structure to a “.REG” file
4. Locate the subkey “Altiris Carbon Copy Solution Agent ”
5. Rename this to “Altiris Carbon Copy Solution Agent”
6. Close Regedit
Uninstall any Controller Excel link client version (from the client PC)
1. Logon to the client PC as an administrator
2. Open ‘Control Panel’, and launch ‘Add/Remove Programs’
3. Search for an entry relating to ‘Cognos Controller link add-in’
4. Highlight this entry, and click ‘Add/Remove’ and follow the wizard to uninstall the client
Re-install the ‘correct’ client version
1. Launch Internet Explorer
2. Launch http://controllerserver/cognos8/controllerbin/controllerclient.MSI
3. Choose to ‘save’ this file on your desktop
4. Close Internet Explorer
5. Double-click on the file ‘ControllerClient.MSI’ on your desktop
6. Follow the install wizard to perform a default install
7. Test by launching Controller
Product: Cognos BI 8
How to determine the version of an Oracle JDBC driver?
1. Locate the classes12.jar file being used. This is located in: <Cognos Installation Location>\c8\webapps\p2pd\WEB-INF\lib
2. Make a copy of the classes12.jar file.
3. Rename the classes12.jar to classes12.zip
4. Use Winzip or some other file compression tool, extract the content of the classes12.zip to a temporary location.
5. In the temporary location, locate the file called MANIFEST.MF
6. Open the MANIFEST.MF file with notepad
7. Look for the line Specification-Version: “Oracle JDBC Driver version – 126.96.36.199.8” indicates that the version of this JDBC classes12 driver is 188.8.131.52.8.
This Oracle JDBC Driver version, must be exactly same as the version of the Oracle database server were you want to create a metric or content store. Ask the Oracle DBA how to obtain the correct JDBC version is necessary.
Long time no see !
To improve access to Cognos information this site is up. Hopefully it will contain some info that you can use.
More information can be found at www.cogknowhow.com
Year 2008 to 2016 information was provided to www.cogknowhow.com as it is hard to find information at IBMs website.
Year 2016 and forward www.cogknowhow.com is run by https://motio.com… Then this site come up.
Year 2021 IBM push Cognos knowledge to partners, so now we include information about other things as well.